Knol Stuff

Knowledge is Power!

Do we have faith in the ability of our mind in the practice of taiji?

Views: 2382

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

To me it pretty much comes down to our view of the legendary (and a few contemporary) old-timers and/or their legendary abilities. Do we believe in "that stuff" or do we think that the old tales are probably much exaggerated... and/or, with modern superior methods we should be able to surpass whatever they were [actually] capable of.

In other words, are traditional ways in martial arts worthy of veneration? Or is this just blindly following bygone generations, ignoring the bright promise of modern times?

If the old guys could really deliver the goods, how did they do it, what did they know? This is where mind cultivation enters the picture, leading both body and spirit into rarefied territory.

Our mind is not so different from their mind. To believe otherwise is to dispute the tenets of tao and zen. Therefore, it is wise to have faith in mind's ability. The question is can we find the keys of true practice, or does that good fortune elude us?
The issue is "don't worship blindly". Past greatness does not mean present greatness.

Also just because we can't do it does not mean that it is not true. Frequently we have to find the missing link in order to bring forth the principles.

Many times the knowledge is in plain sight, already listed out nicely in the classics. But to protect the tradition, the methods are kept hidden. To know the truth, the best way is to find the key.

Many of us modern practitioners like to scoff at secrets and hidden traditions because we think we know better. But the plain fact is that we don't know better.

Mind is mind. Find the faith in our mind to release the true intention. Study the principles as dictated by the methods of the mind. Maybe then we will find that there is truth to all this talk about intention after all. To each of us our chosen and fated path. Que sera, sera.
I just saw a short feature in the newspaper on archery. This is part of a continuing series on Olympic events.

A few things of interest to note in addition to some of the things I mentioned in the past :-

The Bow
~ Nocking point on the bowstring
~ Stabilizers on the bow
~ Bow sight

The Arrow
~ Nock
~ Fletching
~ Shaft
~ Tip

Though the taiji classics don't go into great detail apart from a general mention of the 5 bows, it is instructive to briefly look at archery as we can draw parallel lessons there.
A generic diagram showing how the principle of 5 bows works in the context of taiji is shown below :-

All that is missing is how to implement and train the 5 bows to store & release using mindmechanics rather than biomechanics.
What is already written about and taught as the methods of the hidden tradition conceals a model of using the bow.

Because its not using archery terms frequently its right in front of our eyes yet we still can't see it.

However, if you are able to catch the layered meaning of certain principles and the implications, the "how to" of using the bow is evident.

It still amazes how these masters of old were able to construct a model that physics can easily verify today. Amazing!!!
As I've tried to explore the "bows" principle in taiji over the past year or so, I usually would get somewhat hung up on how the bow model corresponds to my body's form and function.

One can perceive ways in which various bodily sections resemble or can mimic a bow... that is, a firm springy curve. But then we consider that an archery bow always has a bowstring, and that it is bow + string that makes possible the launching of arrows.

So I think OK, various bodily sections resemble or can mimic a bowstring.

But then what of the bow?

How can my body or any part of it be both bow and string? And if they can't, maybe the "bows" model is just a poetic expression and not meant too literally.

But today after some more work I thought about how the bow and the string are connected, and usually in close correspondence. But when it comes time to use the bow, the string can diverge or separate from the bow. Yet still connected.

Then I thought about that very intriguing expression I've heard, "Separate the intention and the shape".

Things suddenly seemed to make more sense, and the idea of holding the bow whilst being the bow suddenly felt more like a possibility. I don't think it's done by telling myself, "Be like a bow". And yet, on some level I do need to be like a bow. Instruct and don't instruct; think and don't think; do and don't do. Yin and yang working together. Or so I think. :-)
Ha, ha..............just telling yourself won't do the trick. You need to cultivate the principles that allows you to mimic the store/release functions of a bow + bowstring.

You would also need to cultivate the ability to neutralize and connect to your partner so that you can borrow his strength to enable you to load him onto your bowstring, bend the bow and then shoot him out. Hint-the posture of "bend bow, shoot tiger" trains the principle of using 3 bows to issue force!

Taiji neutralization is more than just moving off to neutralize - this works but every other non-taiji style does this also.

If you can neutralize and issue in the same instance using a simple movement, would this not be more optimal than moving off to neutralize and then coming back to issue force?

When you start to think along these lines, you will see taiji in a different light and also give you an inkling of why taiji is regarded as a high level MA.
I'd really like to continue this discussion. Here we are at the outset of the 21st century. We can dream of a technology-based utopia developing, assuming that the Four Horsemen of disaster are not loosed throughout the world in the meantime. Or perhaps more likely than either extreme, we'll just keep muddling along for the near term.

Some conditions will improve. But the past is being eroded. Often as young people we couldn't care less. But later in life one comes to appreciate more strongly: that which was good, and may not be around much longer.

Ways to improve and empower the mind are needed now as badly as ever. And also we need to look to health issues in general. Despite our expensive modern medical miracles, nothing beats not needing treatment in the first place. And one wants to be healthy and vigorous in any case.

So we come to taiji or "tai chi". Most well-known in its Yang Family Style format. Something halfway between an exercise and a martial art, it would seem. Hard to know more until we try it for ourselves. Then we get a dose of our teacher(s) slant on the exercise vs. MA question. The debate generally arises from the "slow, gentle" character of taiji practice.

"Mind" and/or "Intention" gets mentioned as an important method; qi or chi gets mentioned. Relaxation gets mentioned. Meanwhile there's all these movements to learn. Always the mantra is, don't worry too much about the complex principles underlying these fairly simple movements. Takes time, it'll soak in little by little. Well and good. (Well, not really. But who cares about principles?)

We say (or are told) that taiji reflects yin-yang principle of existence. In other words, the universe and life works by way of yin and yang, and we're wise to get on board with this with our training. Very good.

But the beauty of taiji (that I've begun to see) is that it's not just about getting acquainted with yin and yang, much the same way we can learn about physics in our boxing. It is our mind that creates yin and yang. I didn't create rocks or trees or even the New York Stock Exchange. But mind created "yin and yang". Through taiji training, my mind is invited to participate.

Through this method, with luck and hard work we can get to know things like qi and shen, gaining new tools that are more than tools, they are our selves; learning to use oneself as a surprisingly productive tool, while at the same time partaking of something greater than just "Me and what I accomplished".

It's a pity that so little is known, really, about Yang Lu-chan. Probably some know more than others; but overall, I've yet to encounter anything that really reveals the man behind the legend. I did read somewhere that the excesses of the Cultural Revolution served to destroy many records, much factual information.

But he was an exponent of the Asian Martial Arts and his personal legacy seems to fit well with the other threads that stand "high-level" in terms of sophistication and effectiveness. Now with global communications we can take a look at a rainbow of "tai chi" flavors and try to find what Yang Lu-chan found within himeself, with the help of the Chen family tradition.

It's 1:00 A.M. now and I'm not sure if I made a point or not. Perhaps this: those of us who get a look at mastery, will want to know something of Master's mind, if we're smart (and want to be smarter). It's a fork in the road. A little humility and a lot of persistence are very good things to possess at that moment...

RSS

Share Knol Stuff Please!

Blog Posts

Artistic Vision

Posted by Stacy Esch on November 6, 2023 at 8:15pm 10 Comments

Is an artist's "vision" primarily a product of experience or imagination? I don't want to pursue the simple answer that it's both. Is it primarily one or the other, of if it's just plain old both, how do they interact to create an imaginary world?

Is it true that some people have more artistic vision than others, or is this kind of seeing equally available to all?

Trying to find treatment.

Posted by Clare Davis on November 6, 2023 at 8:15pm 0 Comments

In the beginning of August 2008 I was doing great. I went to the gym 3 times a week for 3 hours each time. I had lost weight and had a nice tone coming. I was nicely tanned with some help of the tanning beds. I rode my motorcycle back and forth to work and to the gym. In the middle of August a leg press came down on top of my head while i was trying to get it reset to the proper location so I would be able to use the equipment. I got very dizzy and had to go home, that was the end of my…

Continue

Driving in France and different regulations including what you need to have

Posted by Martyn Davis on November 6, 2023 at 8:14pm 0 Comments

Driving through France can be a fantastic experience which you can never forget, and as always the rules and regulations between countries can differ, which is where we've composed a small list to help keep on the right side of the law and to help keep you safe!

Obviously, passengers have to wear seat belts, but one thing in France is different from some countries in that children under ten years old are not allowed to sit in the front passenger seat at all.

Another is, even if…

Continue

Making Juices In your own home: A Beginners.

Posted by Tory Tilley on November 6, 2023 at 8:13pm 0 Comments

Read through bellow best tips an informatior respect what is the best juicer to buy

You will find few things you can do, for healthy for you than juicing daily will be. The juice naturally hydrates the body. It also supplies a person with essential vitamins, EFAs, fatty acids, carbs and proteins to help you function at your top. Read these tips to make juicing easier.

Remember to remove hard pits from fruits like peaches and cherries before sending them over the juicer.…

Continue

dieta DUKAN PER

Posted by Jeanett Seale on November 6, 2023 at 8:13pm 0 Comments

En lo personal me gusta mucho esta dieta, tiene practicamente de este mundo. Hay aquellos que recurren a las pldoras de dieta y otras ideas para ayudarse a lograr el peso idela. La forma ms comn de La dieta de tres dias en necesidades diarias de caloras, grasas y nutrientes pueden diferir significativamente de persona a persona dependiendo de la edad, peso, sexo y otros factores.

As que al mantener tu consumo de caloras e incrementar las ests aqu, voy a enumerar lo que se dice qu…

Continue

Remember The Ramifications Of A UK State.

Posted by Yolanda Bruner on November 6, 2023 at 8:12pm 0 Comments

If you're ready to find more info regarding UK Pension Service (Go To This Site) have a look at http://UKPension.co.za

How You Can Watch Watch Programs Online

Posted by Nickolas Caraballo on November 6, 2023 at 8:11pm 0 Comments

Moreover, by watching watch free movies online without downloading or paying at home, individuals can save of transportation, popcorn, furthermore drinks. They are even enjoy smash flicks in good environment where a person's lighting and noise are controlled and simply suited to non-public preferences.

Movie pictures nowadays, are completing different shapes and colours. Centuries back, before the formulation of movies, women and…

Continue

Raspberry Ketone & Fat Loss

Posted by Samuel Dunlap on November 6, 2023 at 8:11pm 0 Comments

raspberry ketone

Consider everything you are going to eat for the entire day. If you realize that you are likely to have a heavy meal later in the evening, make your breakfast and lunch options on the lighter side. Then you will be good eating your dinner, and you will not feel guilty about this.

renowned doctor reveals what works for weight loss -… Continue

Nike Roshe Run Mens Gold Pink

Posted by Fina on November 6, 2023 at 8:10pm 0 Comments

Common Engines as well …

Continue

Hyderabad Moving Agencies – How to locate Proper One

Posted by Sanjeev Saxena on November 6, 2023 at 8:10pm 0 Comments

There are several expert transferring firms as well as packers along with movers within Hyderabad who is able to always be helping mitts ones diverse new house purchase desires. I suggest you pick the best one which properly caters the needs you have, choices as well as finances. You will need to select the right 1 which is not simply very affordable and also trustworthy, encountered, covered with insurance, signed up plus much more notably trusted. Nevertheless finding out there the most…

Continue

Knol Video

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by knolstuff.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service