Knol Stuff

Knowledge is Power!

Introduction to Sindh

Sindh is a province of Pakistan and a historic region of the Pak-Hind subcontinent. It is essentially the Delta Country and has derived its name from its life stream, the river Indus, known to the people by the name of "Sindhu" from time immemorial.

Sindh is bounded on the west by the province of Balochistan, on the north b the province of Punjab, on the east and southeast by India, and on the south and southwest by the Arabian Sea. Its chief cities are: Karachi, the capital, and the largest city of Pakistan, Hyderabad, Sukkur, Mirpurkhas, Larkana, and Nawabshah. Sindh province has an area of 58,471 square miles (151,440 sq. km) and its population in 1992 was estimated to be 29.991

The Land and Economy:

In general Sindh corresponds to the lower Indus River valley, stretching from north to south in the form of the letter 'S', physiographical, Sindh can be divided into the western highlands of the Khirthar Range and the Kohistan area, rising to more than 6000 feet (1,830 meters); the central valley, with eastern and western valley regions; and western valley regions; and the delta region; and the Thar desert in the east. The climate is of the subtropical desert type, with scanty rainfall averaging 5 inches (125 mm) yearly.

As in the rest of Pakistan, the economy is predominantly agricultural and depends almost entirely on irrigation. The principal source of water is the Indus River, on the which there are three irrigation dams ('Barrages') in Sindh: the Guddu, on the Punjab border; the Lloyed (Sukkur), and the Kotri, farthest south. The Sukkur Barrage controls a canal system whose total length including subsidiary water courses, extends 50,000 miles (80,000 km), or twice the length of the earth's circumference. Sindh's principal crops are wheat, rice, cotton, oilseeds, sugarcane, vegetables and fruits. Sheep, cattle, camels, and poultry are raised, and there is fishing industry. Manufacturing industries are concentrated in Karachi, Hyderabad, nooriabad and Kotri. They produce textiles, cement, cardboard, chemicals, electric power and supplies, rail-road equipment, machinery and other metal products Karachi, Pakistan's chief port, has an oil refinery and also is the center of printing and publishing.

The artistic and cultural heritage of Sindh is reflected in its superb, examples lacquer ware, mirror embroidery, textile and exquisitely painted tile work.

History of Sindh:

Sindh has a history of town life, going back to some 5,000 years, as attested by the numerous archaeological finds of modern times. The most important archaeological sites are: Amri, Kotdijji and Mohen-jo- Daro. The ruins of Mohen-jo-Daro, which was a flourishing city by about 2500 B.C., reveal a remarkably developed of civilization. The city has parallel streets, a planned drainage system, and grain storage facilities.

Sindh's later history begins towards the end of the 6th century B.C., when the Persian King Darius I (the Great) sent the Greek explorer Scylax to survey the Indus Valley. In 325B.C., Alexander the Great of Macedona conquered Sindh from the north, but after his death in 323B.C., Greek influence began to wane. The region flourished once again in the days of the Buddhist emperor Asoka (Ashoka), who reigned about 274-237 B.C. In the 2nd century B.C., following the disintegration of Asoka's empire. Sindh became under the influence of Indo-Greek and Indo-Parthian dynasties. Later it was absorbed into the Kushan empire, which reached its height in the 1st and 2nd century A.D., During the region of kanisihka I, a great patron of Buddhism. At the close of the 4th century, Sindh was part of the empire of the Guptas, who effected a revival of Brahmanism in India.

Muslim rule in Sindh began with the Arab conquest of the region in 712 A.D. by Muhammad Ibn Kasim. He had been sent by Hajaj-Lbn yusuf, governor of Iraq for the Umayya Caliph, to punish the Brahman ruler of Debal for interfering with shipping in he Arabian sea. Sindh remained under Arab rule for nearly 300 years. The Sammas in 1351 A.D.

In 1025-1026H, Mahmud Ghazanvi marched through Sindh to Somnath, which is now in the Indian state of Gujarat. Arghuns & Tarkhans ruled over Sindh from 1521 A.D. to 1555 A.D. Sindh was then, annexed to the Delhi Sultanate in 1555 A.D. The Mughal (Mogul) emperor Akbar, who was born in Sindh , annexed it with Mughal empire in 1591A.D. Sindh maintained virtual independence under local Muslim rulers, the Kalhoras in 1713 A.D.

From 1700 A.D. to 1783 A.D. Kalhoras ruled over Sindh. From 1783 A.D. Sindh was governed by Amirs of the Talpur tribe, originally from Balochistan. Sir Charles Nagpier conquered them for Britain in 1843, transmitting the news in a message reading "peccavi", Latin for "I have sinned ." The conquest was later much criticized. How ever Sindh became united culturally, and linguistically, as well as politically, under the British. It was administered as part of Bombay presidency until 1936, when it was made a separate province.

Views: 93

Attachments:

Share Knol Stuff Please!

Blog Posts

Artistic Vision

Posted by Stacy Esch on November 6, 2023 at 8:15pm 10 Comments

Is an artist's "vision" primarily a product of experience or imagination? I don't want to pursue the simple answer that it's both. Is it primarily one or the other, of if it's just plain old both, how do they interact to create an imaginary world?

Is it true that some people have more artistic vision than others, or is this kind of seeing equally available to all?

Trying to find treatment.

Posted by Clare Davis on November 6, 2023 at 8:15pm 0 Comments

In the beginning of August 2008 I was doing great. I went to the gym 3 times a week for 3 hours each time. I had lost weight and had a nice tone coming. I was nicely tanned with some help of the tanning beds. I rode my motorcycle back and forth to work and to the gym. In the middle of August a leg press came down on top of my head while i was trying to get it reset to the proper location so I would be able to use the equipment. I got very dizzy and had to go home, that was the end of my…

Continue

Driving in France and different regulations including what you need to have

Posted by Martyn Davis on November 6, 2023 at 8:14pm 0 Comments

Driving through France can be a fantastic experience which you can never forget, and as always the rules and regulations between countries can differ, which is where we've composed a small list to help keep on the right side of the law and to help keep you safe!

Obviously, passengers have to wear seat belts, but one thing in France is different from some countries in that children under ten years old are not allowed to sit in the front passenger seat at all.

Another is, even if…

Continue

Making Juices In your own home: A Beginners.

Posted by Tory Tilley on November 6, 2023 at 8:13pm 0 Comments

Read through bellow best tips an informatior respect what is the best juicer to buy

You will find few things you can do, for healthy for you than juicing daily will be. The juice naturally hydrates the body. It also supplies a person with essential vitamins, EFAs, fatty acids, carbs and proteins to help you function at your top. Read these tips to make juicing easier.

Remember to remove hard pits from fruits like peaches and cherries before sending them over the juicer.…

Continue

dieta DUKAN PER

Posted by Jeanett Seale on November 6, 2023 at 8:13pm 0 Comments

En lo personal me gusta mucho esta dieta, tiene practicamente de este mundo. Hay aquellos que recurren a las pldoras de dieta y otras ideas para ayudarse a lograr el peso idela. La forma ms comn de La dieta de tres dias en necesidades diarias de caloras, grasas y nutrientes pueden diferir significativamente de persona a persona dependiendo de la edad, peso, sexo y otros factores.

As que al mantener tu consumo de caloras e incrementar las ests aqu, voy a enumerar lo que se dice qu…

Continue

Remember The Ramifications Of A UK State.

Posted by Yolanda Bruner on November 6, 2023 at 8:12pm 0 Comments

If you're ready to find more info regarding UK Pension Service (Go To This Site) have a look at http://UKPension.co.za

How You Can Watch Watch Programs Online

Posted by Nickolas Caraballo on November 6, 2023 at 8:11pm 0 Comments

Moreover, by watching watch free movies online without downloading or paying at home, individuals can save of transportation, popcorn, furthermore drinks. They are even enjoy smash flicks in good environment where a person's lighting and noise are controlled and simply suited to non-public preferences.

Movie pictures nowadays, are completing different shapes and colours. Centuries back, before the formulation of movies, women and…

Continue

Raspberry Ketone & Fat Loss

Posted by Samuel Dunlap on November 6, 2023 at 8:11pm 0 Comments

raspberry ketone

Consider everything you are going to eat for the entire day. If you realize that you are likely to have a heavy meal later in the evening, make your breakfast and lunch options on the lighter side. Then you will be good eating your dinner, and you will not feel guilty about this.

renowned doctor reveals what works for weight loss -… Continue

Nike Roshe Run Mens Gold Pink

Posted by Fina on November 6, 2023 at 8:10pm 0 Comments

Common Engines as well …

Continue

Hyderabad Moving Agencies – How to locate Proper One

Posted by Sanjeev Saxena on November 6, 2023 at 8:10pm 0 Comments

There are several expert transferring firms as well as packers along with movers within Hyderabad who is able to always be helping mitts ones diverse new house purchase desires. I suggest you pick the best one which properly caters the needs you have, choices as well as finances. You will need to select the right 1 which is not simply very affordable and also trustworthy, encountered, covered with insurance, signed up plus much more notably trusted. Nevertheless finding out there the most…

Continue

Knol Video

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by knolstuff.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service