Knowledge is Power!
In my first post I am comparing the typical article structure found in wikipedia and the proposed by Knol. I am also proposing an initial set of suggestions to improve the structure proposed in knol. It would be interesting to include a group named as "Suggestion Box" where content authors define their needs and improvements.
It will be interesting for the developers to include a SUGGESTION BOX section in order to define sections that add value to Knol.
My starting suggestion include the following:
1. Add a taxonomy based upon the ACM Computing Classification System but updated for Computer Science and Information Systems Sections. For the rest of knowledge domains a link to the open directory project taxonomy. Also include upper level taxonomies such as upper level ontologies
2. Provide a mapping from these taxonomies to knol folksonomies (social tagging) Therefore Knol can include the following tags:
2.1. Taxonomic tags (the classification systems mentioned above)
2.2. Folksonomies (social tagging)
2.3. The tags suggested by the author: keywords or tags 2.
3. The references section include references to Google Scholar in order to obtain the number of citations or the number of citations are shown ina given knol article (this is really added value)
4. The "More information" section should include well-defined subsections such as definitions, introduction and tutorials, advanced sections and so on.
5. A section including personal data of the editor of the article, that is the person responsible or expert in a given category: i.e. Data Mining, Genomics, Pediatry, and so on.
6. The personal info section: include a link to personal blog, to personal portal, to related web sites such as wordpress blog roll
7. A reward system for editors, content authors and authorized peer reviewers in the form of points that can be exchanged for instance for related books. This is just a suggestion as an ACM Computing Reviews reviewer I get from time to time books in exchange of reviewing them.
This is just a small part of suggestions I hope somebody in the forum will come upp with additional suggestions